Message from the Founder
As the year comes to a close, Paul and I would like to thank all CureDuchenne supporters for your support over the years as we search for a cure for Hawken, and all the boys that suffer from Duchenne. Every year, Hawken is able to do less than the year before, and it is heartbreaking. Fortunately, Hawken’s progression is a bit slower than many Duchenne patients, but his clock is still ticking loudly and we are desperate for treatments that can slow this disease while we find the true cure.
- Based on current scientific knowledge, Duchenne could be treatable for this generation of boys.
- As research moves out of animal studies and into human clinical trials, the cost increases dramatically.
- The limiting factor of treating these children right now is funding…not the science.
CureDuchenne has a successful track record of translating research
into early clinical trials.
We have recently launched CureDuchenne Ventures.
- Goal: Fund several research projects over the next five years that will serve as a catalyst to drive significant investment from biotech and pharmaceutical companies and venture philanthropists.
- CureDuchenne Ventures provides an opportunity for venture philanthropists, foundations, donors and investors to join together to invest in promising research for Duchenne.
- First research project to be funded through CureDuchenne Ventures is with Lexicon Pharmaceuticals. Lexicon’s drug shows potential to initiate muscle regeneration in Duchenne.
- This drug could benefit all boys with Duchenne, regardless of their genetic mutation.
The Phase 1 clinical study will cost $800,000. We need to raise at least $150,000 by the end of the year so we don’t delay the program. Your donation will leverage additional funding to find a cure for Duchenne muscular dystrophy.
If you have donated to our year end campaign, we thank you. Thank you for giving hope to the 300,000 boys worldwide with Duchenne.
If you haven’t donated yet we could still use your support. We believe that if we act aggressively now, our boys won’t need this help in the future. Go to www.CureDuchenne.org/YearEnd2013.
I thank you from this mom’s heart!
Best wishes to you and your family for a joyous holiday season and a healthy, happy 2014.
Founder and CEO